Saturday, July 26, 2008

ahhhhhh the blackberries....

I love blackberries. Anyone who know me well knows that blackberry cobbler is my absolute favorite dessert. How blessed am I to have married into the best blackberry bushes in the Mid-west-ha! Every year we head down to IL. to pick them at the Dillards. They always take such good care of them for us- putting nets over so the birds can't eat them. So this weekend we began our picking. Ethan was all for it for the first 10 minutes until it got to be actual "work" and he was done.

I realize that I may have an addiction-I can't stop picking....there is always just one more berry that is hiding under a leaf that will be lost if I don't find it. I told Kev today that I love doing it every year -that it's one of my only "organic -one with nature moments" of the year to which I got a good laugh. My farmboy husband replied: "Honey, this is not one with nature". I disagree. It is the only time of the year I get totally covered in sweat, bugs and berry juice and don't care one bit.

So anyway, here is my current favorite cobbler recipe-it really is so good and very easy. I'm sure I will have enough frozen for the next year when you come over for a dessert. We picked 6 gallons just this morning and didn't make a dent.

This picture didn't turn out well due to the humidity on my camera lens, but I am pretending it's just an artsy effect-- like you are dreaming of blackberries........

1 comment:

Jenna said...

i AM dreaming of blackberries. i think i'm coveting!

do ya'll know yet if the pecan tree was permanently damaged in the storm? because i dream of those, too!!