We are getting everyone ready for school today as I hear the wooden barstool at our kitchen island tip over. My initial reaction was to get frustrated at Andrew (I had just told them not to play with them) and then he screams "My toe!" I go over to help thinking it is just a skinned toe to find....well....part of it, including the toenail, hanging off. Yes, you heard it right. God somehow gave me the ability to not lose my breakfast and drop off my 1st grader (in tears) on the way to urgent care. They send us on to the pediatric ER and 13 stitches and 7 hours later we are all home attached in one piece. He had what is classified as a "partial amputation" but will hopefully be fine. He is pretty pitiful tonight. Good times.
You just never know what the next day will bring. I guess I should be thankful that after being a mom of boys for seven years that this is our first major injury. Here he is after being sedated and having a toe reattached---what a trooper. I will spare you the other pictures that Kevin took during the procedure. And yes, you see correctly that he is STILL wearing the fireman costume.
8 comments:
oh.
my.
word.
i am speechless.
seriously. sitting here with mouth gaping open.
YOU are a trooper, my friend. talk soon, k?
you are one brave mama. i would have bawled my eyes out! i cried with lily when she hit her head on the fire place, i can't even imagine the toe thing! so glad he's okay!
Well done! I think there might have been some freaking out on my part had that been me. I was just saying to Todd the other day that I was really surprised we've made it this long without any emergency room trips for the boys...knock on wood! But 7 years is a long time! You had a good run!
Oh my goodness, Allison! That is one crazy story! Praise God for the calm He gave you! Poor Andrew...he even mustered up a half-smile for the camera :-) Love that he was wearing the fireman costume - it probably brought him a small measure of comfort during that traumatic experience! 7 hours in the ER...that's my nightmare. You guys get some much needed rest tonight and praying that his toe heals well! Love to you!
Rach
My lands. I can't believe you didn't lose your breakfast. We will be praying for a quick recovery for you all. (I know from experience that it was probably more traumatic for you than for him.)
Wow.
Glad he's ok. They are so unexpectedly tough and resilient. He's going to be so popular with the other boys with that story. Praying for quick recovery for both of you!
Hanging...that was the word that turned my stomach. Of course I would have no doubt you could handle it with grace and calm. Well done, Al. I hope he heals quickly and well. Love you!
Oh my word! Did it heal up nicely? Sure hope so!!
Post a Comment